If our last post didn't deliver enough chopped body parts for ya (well, real ones anyway), then today's cannibalistic cadaver corpse feast from the May 1953 issue of Weird Terror #5 should certainly whet your atrocious appetites! This one's pretty gruesome, I mean, "mortician's gone wild" should be a THOIA theme someday-- and also features a truly horrific hammer to the face panel that'll likely loosen more than just a few teeth, IYKWIM! And since two cadavers are always better than one, I've added a Skywald bonus from the October 1974 issue of Psycho #21 since its been a while for you text tale lovers. Plus, a funny Mel Millar gag! Forget from where though. And speaking of, a really nightmarish, sexy Skywald screamer is up next-- stay tombed!
5 comments:
Is blogger acting up again?
I love that first panel of page four of Anna salivating over her morbid snack. I also love the 3rd panel of page 5 where George smashes Anna's head in with a hammer. Also that final panel of Anna is nightmare fuel. It's awesome. Although Anna's final remark makes me wonder if she's not just hungering for George's flesh in the cannibal way... The comic is with the clueless housewife is hilarious . The text story is depressing though. What our clown protagonist was doing clearly was non-consensual and I don't blame Alice in the slightest. That's a creepy and depressing story. It wasn't a tale of murder. It was self-defense.
"Carl was a peculiar cuss. He wanted complete silence when he worked. And he got it... because he was a mortician. A good one too... but he was also very handsome..."
You know, that first narrative caption makes me feel like this was written as an exquisite corpse, or by pulling slips of paper out of a hat, or something. Maybe it's the sort of stuff one writes when staring at a blank sheet of typing paper, hoping the ideas will come.
He may be good looking, but the the carpet doesn't match the drapes IYKWIM.
I think the art here is perfectly serviceable--I probably like it best when at its weirdest, like those warped looking profiles on every single page (especially at the bottom of page three)--but after the last couple of really excellent illustrators, it took me a little while to get used to an oddball again. I do wish that final panel had been a little bigger.
Which reminds me, the Don Heck cover on this ish is utterly amazing.
I've started to appreciate the more amateur art on some of these. Take the splash; proportions are wrong just everywhere, from the hands to the heads to the distances, even to the size of the coffin vs the body but ... it works. For a horror mag! It's just weird and strange enough to give it this dream like quality.
If this was super-hero stuff I'd be asking for a refund but it works well here. I also love how movie star-ish our heel and his girlfriend out and how outright bizarre Anna is. Page 2, last panel, that's not even human.
And yeah, that hammer panel is painful!
Looking forward to seeing what you pull from Skywald!
This was a rare pre-code comic book that I got to read circa 1960, aged 7 or so. "Cadaver" scared the crap out of me. Unnerving to the max..
Post a Comment