Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Midnight in the Wax Museum!

Todays story falls a few years out of the "pre-code" horror era range, originally appearing in the May 1957 issue of Astonishing #61, but Richard Doxsee's art style does a decent job of maintaining that "Golden Age" chill of shadowy mood and atmosphere. The story itself probably draws a bit of inspiration from A. M. Burrage's terrifying short story classic "The Waxwork", and here becomes a creepy little crime yarn with a perfectly predictable, yet still shiver inducing finale.





(Cover art by Bill Everett)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

SOME OF THESE POST CODE ATLAS STORYS ARE ACTUALLY PRETTY GOOD AND I SURE DO LOVE ANYTHING SET IN A WAX MUSEUM.
LOVE THAT EVERETT COVER TOO!

Neil said...

I'm always a sucker for this type of art. Reminds me of some early Batman possibly the same artist.

Prof. Grewbeard said...

great cover!

Mr. Karswell said...

@ ANON and Prof: ever see a bad Everett cover?

>I'm always a sucker for this type of art. Reminds me of some early Batman possibly the same artist.

I don't know much about Richard Doxsee, in fact I don't know if I was even familiar with his name until this post. Anyone interested in finding out more about his work should check his entry over at GCD here:

http://www.comics.org/credit/name/Richard%20Doxsee/sort/alpha/

Thanks for the comments!

Voodoo Ink said...

Love the Bill Everett cover!!!!