I'm working on a larger double-feature post which will be coming up here very shortly. In the meantime, dig this hot little four-page danger dame charmer from the September 1953 issue of Crime Mysteries #9! A story so wonderfully wicked, it'll leave you wrapped around Susan's lovely little finger and burning for more! As always, stay tombed...
9 comments:
And the Devils is a babe! Must be a little chilly in Hell...
What a cute devil! Now if only she were a lesbian, Susan would be fine.
As an atheist, I am now, for the first time in my life, wishing hell existed!
This is a great little 4 pager. It's a standard story with a pretty funny ending tacked on (BTW, how do we know Satan isn't a lesbian or bi etc?) with the over the top good girl art (almost everything she wears is impossible clothes, to tight, to form fitting, etc) and she really leaves a trail of corpses behind her. I have to appreciate her work ethic of being murderous!
The art has some real stand out panels. Page 3, panel 3 is great staging, and the pictures of jurors on page 3 could come from MAD magazine!
Who penciled this? It's great and I swear I've seen this before. It's sad the artist seems to be unknown.
I might be wrong about this, but the art in this one is similar (but not identical) to the art in 'Spawn of the Cat' posted here back in March 21, 2022.
Again, I could be mistaken, but both tales do feature femme fatales in form fitting finery.
Shhhh… she’ll make you pay dearly for that comment!
Some definite similarities
Well, the Lesbian Lucifer comments were definitely predicted / expected. Congrats gents…
There’s a double dose of creepy crime horror up next, —see ya at the movies!
Since the jury is all-male, I'd like to see a mash-up of this story and 12 ANGRY MEN.
I'm terrible at identifying swipes. Like, I'm convinced I see them--both the second and third panel of the last page here, for instance, have a pasted together quality and a graphical facility that does not seem to match up with the rest of the story--but then I'm never able to dig up any proof.
Anyway, assuming the best, this is still a little bit of a mixed bag art-wise. I like the fine lined background details in the first panel of page two, and the wood grain and dark shadows of the next panel, too. Love the three panels in the middle of page three too, but I don't really think the unknown illustrator stuck the landing on the first image in that sequence. It's definitely great in theory though.
The punch line of this story is surely the text "no human had ever suspected" and not the fact that Satan turns out to be a lady. One must imagine the narrator's shrug emoji tucked in between the lines there. I have to admit I totally LOLed.
Post a Comment