Thursday, August 29, 2024

Vampire at the Window

Yeah, I know, another vampire post. But word came down the pike recently that the 2024 remake of Stephen King's Salem's Lot now has a release date (after sitting in limbo for like 2 years since its completion), where it will finally be streaming on MAX this October. I've been looking forward to it for a while, and since the original 1979 TV two-parter is one of my all-time favorite films, I thought I'd show you this funny little Atlas quickie from the October 1952 issue of Astonishing #18, where the vampire has a very similar Nosferatu design that is also very much like the Mr. Barlow character from the 70's version. Plus, we get some "outside the window" action, which, if you've ever seen Salem's Lot, you know EXACTLY what I'm talkin' about. CLICK HERE to learn more about the upcoming film (hope it's good!), and I've also included a related photo, not from the film, but from my attic instead!

3 comments:

Brian Barnes said...

At this point I've read way to many of these because I immediately recognize the plot beats!

So King was known to be a EC reader, and for sure he was reading Atlas, too, I wonder if there was inspiration from this? The last time I read Salem's Lot was decades ago and I don't remember if the same window scene was in the book, but I don't doubt that this was inspiring to a kid!

Page 3, panel 2, that's a great "3D" comic image. Panel 4 is also really cool. The art in this is great throughout, and, of course, the splash is awesome.

Grant said...

Somehow I expected a funny HAPPY ending, not a funny DARK one.
He's enough of a wise-cracking detective character that I expected THAT kind of punch line, the "All well that ends well" kind. Oh, well.

Mr. Cavin said...

That last page is really wonderful. I love the vampire's huge eyes and hands (what an emotionally accurate rumination on the effect Max Schreck has in the film). And I also really love the more sedate--but much scarier--final frame: The way the darkness within the detective's cape focuses attention onto his claw-like hands, their shapes reinforced by the tatters of his clothes. It really help the story stick it's stark ending.

I'll keep my fingers crossed about the 'Salem's Lot remake, but I'm afraid modern remakes don't have a very good track record with me.