Saturday, April 16, 2022

The Planet Eaters

After a week in the old wild west, let's hyperdrive into the freaky future by taking to the stars for a scary Sci-Fi Saturday shocker, via the October 1952 debut issue of Weird Mysteries #1! Art possibly by THOIA favorite, Larry Woromay, who did a ton of great work for Atlas. Someone at GCD spotted his initials in the splash, which may or may not even be initials, so the whole thing is still a debatable mystery. And while the human character illustrations here don't look very much like his style to me, those wonderfully creepy, organically curvy plants totally do, so maybe it was a collaborative venture with another artist. Check the Woromay archive HERE to compare.

3 comments:

Brian Barnes said...

What a bunch of 'maroons! Why blow up over earth? Drive into the sun! Yeesh!

So I think I see the "LW" on the splash, but I'd be hard pressed to say that's an LW and not just part of the plant illustration. I think that's a pretty thin piece of evidence!

Whoever the artist is, I do like the plant, it's such a mess of stuff, the pine cone like part, the leaf, the spine-y part, the octopus arm! That's one scary plant!

Gene Phillips said...

"I hope the people aren't as tough as these weeds"-- uh, were you planning on testing their toughness with your machete, buddy?

Nice little SF-tale, just the right length for its idea.

Mr. Cavin said...

Whoever drew it, I sure do like the work. From those groovy shapely plants to the Alex Raymond spire city, it really achieves the classic Flash Gordon Sunday feel it was certainly shooting for. Really cool stuff.

I like the colors too. This one certainly wasn't afraid to pour on the yellow!