Monday, March 21, 2022

Spawn of the Cat

We have a rather eye-poppin', frisky, feline foray into the old big top of terror today, from the October 1953 issue of Weird Mysteries #7. There's an interesting use of lighting throughout this tale, some of which seems less about color printing drop-outs, and a bit more on the intentional side of portraying lovely Felicia as wearing a lot less than she really seems to be! And if you think I'm complaining, think again! So, step right up, and for one measly little dime, you too can feast your unbelieving eyes on the greatest meow on Earth!

5 comments:

Mr. Cavin said...

I feel like this artist's reference model had to be a ceramic panther lamp. I know I've seen something just like that before. I love it. It's like if Tom of Finland had a pet.

Our burly Q werecat protagonist has a sort of similar vibe, frankly.

All colors present an accounted for! Certainly everything we are seeing here is a choice made for effect. There seem to be several telltale clues that we are supposed to imagine the dancer naked. It isn't as if the little lines drawn here and there across her bod are particularly convincing.

JMR777 said...

This is a cat-woman who puts Selena Kyle to shame.

Mr. Karswell said...

>There seem to be several telltale clues that we are supposed to imagine the dancer naked

Oh I'm imaginin' --believe me you! ;)

>This is a cat-woman who puts Selena Kyle to shame.

Agree 100%

Its a sad day for bloggers and vintage horror comics when a cool story like this one can only generate 2 comments. Anyway, I appreciate those who bothered... thanks

Mr. Cavin said...

"...a cool story like this one can only generate 2 comments..."

Seriously. I guess everybody's still out celebrating the equinox or something?

Brian Barnes said...

Hey, I was moving, I couldn't get to comments right away!

I'm marveling at the art here, the artist is really really trying to get away with nudity here. On page 3, panel 6 the artist just basically gives up and the colorist has to save the day. Then two cleavage shots on the next page and I would bet dimes to dollars somebody erased a line or two out of the art.

BTW there's some really dynamic poses in this thing, especially on the last page. Bravo for this artist who went all out on this one.