Friday, September 18, 2009

Concrete Coffin / Needle Work

THOIA takes a brief, but screaming detour into the gritty, grimy belly of crime horror for the next few posts, kicking things off (I almost said kicking teeth out) with one from Don Heck and the Sept '53 issue of Weird Terror #7 ...plus a violent two page drug addiction text story from the same issue written by Ed Green and featuring more art from Heck.









FYI: Look for another Don Heck story next week!

+++++++++++++++++++++

Needle Work


10 comments:

Anonymous said...

COOL STORY, I DIG HECKS CHUNKY ARTWORK AND THE DIALOG IS SUPER. THE TEXT STORY WAS PRETTY GOOD TOO AND I LOVE THE LAST ILLUSTRATION. THANKS FOR MIXING THINGS UP KARS, LOOKING FORWARD TO MORE CRIME HORROR.

Unknown said...

They sentenced Joe to death for his spelling on page five.

Anonymous said...

Not just page five...

Mike H said...

Comic Media had some great text stories... many are worth reading!

Mr. Karswell said...

I agree Mike, I usually skip the text stories because most of them, well, just suck.. but once I actually read a couple of good ones I've been sort of going back and checking out some others in my collection. If this is something anyone else would like to see more of let me know.

8thRay said...

Well, that was a gritty one. I like how the construction site guards just shoot people on sight.

goblin said...

"They sentenced Joe to death for his spelling on page five."

Not just page five…

Yeah, the editor was really sloppy here. The art makes up for it, though.

Anonymous said...

I agree, nice art but the story is a bit muddled. Strong sexual themes implied here too. Good post.

Prof. Grewbeard said...

i'd never seen any of Heck's crime/horror work, i'm impressed. i also have to say that the story was a bit too mature for the kiddies...

Mr. Cavin said...

I am deeply digging the second panel on page three. That big bold arrow Ray's flapping tie is making, pointing right at the impact of action, is just awesomely dynamic graphical storytelling.