Thursday, March 12, 2009

Shrink

Tiny Terrors are invading THOIA for the rest of the week (and weekend), and this Rudy Palais tale is just the start of it (as part of a request you’ll find out more about tomorrow.) And if for some reason you’re still confused about the theme after reading today’s post then maybe the ad that follows will fill in the blanks a bit.

From the September 1953 issue of Horrific #7









ANOTHER HEADS UP: I know some of you are excited about the Bernie Wrightson / Flash Forward Day I had planned this week, but due to a schedule / time conflict I’ve moved it to next week now. It will be early in the week though, I promise!

+++++++++++++++++++++++

Vintage AD (zat thing creepy or what?)

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

This one really takes its time not surprising us, doesn't it? And why is everybody sweating so much? Still, the art is wonderful, and some of the inexplicably employed montages are great. Very spooky. Gotta love Rudy!

Michael Hoskin said...

Wow, seven whole pages to establish what we saw in the opening splash. Where's the twist?

Anonymous said...

I'm now thoroughly convinced this guy was a genius, a deranged genius, but what other kind really counts in horror?.

Anonymous said...

I DONT THINK MOST PRE CODE NEEDS A TWIST, I LIKED THIS ONE ALOT BECAUSE IT WAS JUST FUN AND WEIRD AND THE ARTWORK WAS AS USUAL AWESOME. PALAIS IS THE MAN!!

Mr. Cavin said...

I'm with Caps. I mean, yeah, it's a little foolish to present the expected ending with such a flourish: "Ta-dah! It's what we told you, comics reader, to suspect!" But I still thought the story was pretty rich.

Assuming Herr Botz's "job" is to shrink women into dolls (and he certainly performs no other--none of the women who visit his shop seem to have gotten any thinner), the last panel on page six is a pretty explicit clue as to what his "hobby" might be.

If I have a qualm about the utter obviousness of the plot here, it's that I can't understand why the town didn't figure all this out for themselves eighteen girls ago. Twenty now. Sort of paints Dresdenites as pretty clueless. Especially compared with one hundred percent of online comics readers.

Kitty LeClaw said...

Deelish! That splash panel maketh my heart be still!

Anonymous said...

Yep, Mr. Palais really, really worked the sweat button on his characters! Long ago, some reviewer pointed out why all that sweat makes Palais's stuff eerie: normal people don't sweat like that! (And don't forget tears and spittle!)

Mr. Karswell said...

I'll have today's Friday the 13th Double Header post up by noon. Don't go away!

Anonymous said...

the ad was creeper than the story