Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Killer From Beyond

Web of Evil Week continues, as does our look at the horrifically amazing pre-code terror tales by the late great Jack Cole. This one is also from the December 1953 issue of Web of Evil #9 (see yesterday’s post) and here Cole really pushes the action over the top with machine gunnin’, axe slingin’, and some hilarious tough guy talk (especially from the femme fatale!) It’s one of the more clever “murder for money”, double crossin’, crime / ghost stories that I’ve posted in awhile--- enjoy!







And a very big CONGRATULATIONS to Tim Lucas and Video Watchdog for winning the "Best Blog" catagory in the 7th Annual Rondos. Congrats to all the winners and losers. And I want to thank everyone again who bothered to nominate and vote for THOIA this year too. TOMORROW: Jack Cole - Day Three

++++++++++++++++++++++++

Vintage Ad

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amazing!! The gorgeous splash seems to promise a typical tale of haunting, but what we really get is almost like a comedy routine with the Renz character serving as a kind of sadistic Buster Keaton using the "fourth wall" to its fullest advantage.

Two Cole stories in a row that I haven't seen before! Very nice.

Kitty LeClaw said...

Losing is the new winning.

Anonymous said...

Cole's panel density is always amazing -- most of all because they never seem dense.

Anonymous said...

Great story. I've seen it before somewhere and I thought it was on THOIA, but apparently, it must've been on some other blog…

Ah, this is driving me nuts!

Mr. Karswell said...

Both of these Cole stories were posted over at Ger's non-horror blog last year... I was thinking Pappys or Mr Doortrees but when I searched and didn't find them I forgot where too. These are from my own collection though, I scanned them and of course gave 'em the usual color correction / alignment upgrade.

The next two Cole stories I post tomorrow and Thursday have not been posted anywhere else (I hope!)

PS: Thanks Kitty...

Anonymous said...

Is that smoke or a feather boa on page 3?

Mike H said...

This blog is #1, regardless of what some poll says. I've never seen any Cole artwork at that winning one!

Mr. Karswell said...

Haha, thanks Mike. Tim Lucas is a good guy though with a great mag that is the ever essential Video Watchdog... plus his mammoth Bava book is just flat out incredible.

Has anyone used the THOIA search engine and typed in Jack Cole's name? There are many many stories archived there from the last few years, check 'em out if you have not already!

Anonymous said...

I THOUGHT THESE STORIES LOOKED FAMILIAR!! I ALWAYS FORGET ABOUT GERS BLOG FOR SOME REASON BUT ITS KICK ASS TOO. COLE IS SOOOO AMAZING, EVEN THOUGH I READ THIS STORY BEFORE I NOTICED TONS OF STUFF I MISSED THE FIRST TIME. GENIUS WORKS OF ART.

SUCKS ABOUT THE RONDOS, THERE ALWAYS NEXT YEAR THOUGH!