Tuesday, March 17, 2009

The Gourmet

Do I really need to give Bernie Wrightson an introduction here today for our over due Flash Forward? Needless to say, BW’s influence on modern horror comics is as essential as anything the pre-code masters delivered unto us… and throughout the Silver Age boom there were but a handful of contemporaries who maybe came close to his level in terms of moody, unique styles and grotesqueries. Who will ever forget the first time they saw the instantly classic Swamp Thing or his brilliant take on Frankenstein?
Today’s tale from the September-October 1973 issue of Plop #1 was always one of my pre-code-esque favorites, weirdly over the top and loads of fun with a clever double twist for good measure, courtesy of writer Steve Skeates.








TOMORROW: More Wrightson…

++++++++++++++++++++++++

Some of you may know Patrick Kendall from his occasional hauntings here at THOIA, he’s a fabulous horror artist in his own right and I’m sure I’m not taking a froggy leap here, but undoubtedly a fan of Bernie Wrightson. He sends in a pic of himself (sporting his best burial wear) to remind those of you that have not yet ordered a THOIA tee shirt that they are still available in all shapes ‘n sizes, and only $15.00 each with FREE shipping for US citizens.


"Hey Karswell... I finally found a suitable place to have my picture taken while wearing my THOIA shirt. If you're gonna die, rather than die with your boots on, die with your THOIA on. This was taken last weekend at the Transworld Hallowen, Costume & Partyshow. This was a motion simulated ride called "The Last Ride". Gives you an idea of what your last ride will be like in a hearse from hell!

Talk to you soon... "

11 comments:

sfdoomed said...

Wrightson may very well be the greatest horror comic artist of all time. Yes, he was influenced by the god-like Ghastly of EC, but Wrightson added such a unique touch to his art that it really left an indelible impression in your head when you saw it. His victims had real fear in their faces, and his monsters were believable and terrifying. Argh...But there were so many excellent artists at EC and Atlas and some of the others...Ok, maybe I will say he may very well be the best post-code artist.

I've seen this classic story reprinted in like three different books, but I enjoy it each time! Ever since I first read this as a kid, I have imagined the kitchen door at restaurants about to kick open and reveal a parade of dissected animals wanting to exact revenge for my dinner choice.

And who can forget the Twisted Tales cover with the killer who is wearing a belt made of human heads? Oh man, we can go on with Wrightson.

Tim Tylor said...

Brilliantly outrageous climax, horrible and hilarious. Btw, our horror host for this one's a dead ringer for Cain of Neil Gaiman's Sandman.

Robert McKinney said...

That's because it's the same character! He was the host of DC'S House Of Mystery back in the 70's and one of the co-hosts of Plop! with his cousins Abel and Eve.

Anonymous said...

Overwritten, by Skeates, but gorgeous work by a still potent Wrightson. by the way, Bernie used himself as the model for the male diner patron on the last page (the one in the green shirt).

joe ackerman said...

I love this comic. Plop! was just chock full of great creepy tales. between them, Berni Wrightson and Alfredo Alcala managed to produce some of my favourite scary stories, ever. great post, Karswell, old man.

Tim Tylor said...

Thanks, Robert :) I knew Gaiman was using some old comic characters, but I'd missed that connection.

Anonymous said...

THIS IS A CLASSIC STORY, I REMEMBER IT AS A KID BUT DIDNT REMEMBER IT WAS WRIGHTSON. AWESOME ,THANKS FOR THIS POST!!

8thRay said...

As a kid, I remember seeing ads that Plop! was coming. Little teaser ads with that great Wolverton "Arms Armstrong" cover. I knew right when it was going to hit the stands - while I was on a trip with my family. I gave my best friend 20 cents and he picked me up a copy and gave it to me when I got home. It was the BEST COMIC EVER!!! One of my best childhood memories.

Mr. Karswell said...

Plop is great, and very underrated... I even picked up the digest size version of the Best of DC 60 (where these scans actually came from.)

More Wrightson tomorrow, but this one is for ADULTS ONLY! You've been warned.

Greg H said...

Thanks for this! I read this as a child in the 70's and it scarred me deeply. Still can't stand frogs, but it wasn't enough to stop me reading "Plop!"

Can you imagine seeing something like that on the supermarket magazine rack today?

Anonymous said...

>>by the way, Bernie used himself as the model for the male diner patron on the last page (the one in the green shirt).

And presumably the woman he's gazing at is Louise Simonson (or Jones as she was then) who was the model for the cover of House of Secrets #92 (the first appearance of the Swamp Thing character)- she's even brushing her hair as she was on the cover.

cheers
B Smith