Saturday, May 17, 2008

The Tell-Tale Heart

As previously mentioned, I’ll be posting a sampling of Edgar Allan Poe stories throughout the month of May… last week we saw The Pit and the Pendulum, today it’s The Tell-Tale Heart! This is probably the longest story (page-wise) that I’ve ever posted in a single day, but it’s a great adaptation and despite the length it’s still a taut, exciting read. Enjoy!

From the June 1951 issue of Classics Illustrated #84

















Thanks again to Todd Hunter for the scans. And for more info on comic book adaptations of Poe’s work, check out The House of Usher site by clicking HERE!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

GOOD, BUT STRANGLEY COLORFUL VERSION. AFTER WATCHING THE CARTOON YOU POSTED IT'S INTERESTING TO COMPARE THE SAME STORY TOLD IN TWO COMPLETELY DIFFERENT WAYS.

T. R Xands said...

Haha, that was incredible and eerie. It felt so surreal when the inspectors came in and they're wearing different suits and he's got his pajamas on...I can't explain it, but thanks so much for posting.

Anonymous said...

typical ci rendition with stiff art

not bad though

Anonymous said...

That Fred Guardineer art or is it by the Iger shop?.pretty good,but i prefer Warren's version with the new twist.

Mr. Karswell said...

>That Fred Guardineer art or is it by the Iger shop?

Neither. Overstreet lists it's either Palais or Laverly.

This Classic Illustrated issue also includes Poe's The Gold Bug, as well as The Cask of Amontillado (I'll probably be posting Cask next week, it's really good too.)

Chuck Wells said...

Wow, that really was a long post. Hey, if you post Cask, tack on Bug, too.

The Vicar of VHS said...

I love Poe, of course, but I think I prefer the more "well-worn" posts to this "strangely colorful" one. The art is good and all, but it's just too clean for me...I like it DIRTY...

Still, I love the expressions on the narrator's face. Reminds me of Dwight Frye crossed with Alan Rickman. Hey, there's an idea! Back to the lab...

The Experimenting Vicar