Monday, May 12, 2008

Grim Grins & Weird Watson

For those of you who enjoyed the Chilly Chuckles from the other day here’s some more silly “betweener” material from Standard Comics. And just like Chilly Chuckles, Grim Grins was a very funny, one-panel grab-bag quad of 3rd grader style Halloween jokes (just the way I like’em!) that fit a half page perfectly.

From the April 1954 issue of The Unseen #14.



Even better are the wacky 4 panel Weird Watson strips, (maybe Ger knows who illustrated these?) I especially love how sick boy Watson knows where to find the really fat worms for his fishing trip! Ewww…

From Adventures into Darkness #14 and Out of the Shadows #10.



7 comments:

Anonymous said...

funny stuff and weird to think they put these into the same comics with decapitations and blooding impalings

Anonymous said...

THESE ARE COOL. CREEPY IS THE NEW CUTE!

Anthony said...

I agree, these are a lot of fun. I especially like the ones from The Unseen comic. Weird Watson wasn't doing it for me as much, but the art and humor of the first one was a hoot.

Mr. Karswell said...

>CREEPY IS THE NEW CUTE!

I believe Harvey hit on that concept better than anyone else when they created Casper.

If anyone has any more of these horror strips that they would like to submit please send 'em my way. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

pre code horror---for the kiddies!!

Anonymous said...

Bite worms,bite!!.I love this.

Chuck Wells said...

Verry interesting stuff, here Karswell.