Friday, June 6, 2008

Morgue Bait

A while back a commenter requested a good text story example. Since I never read any of the text stories I just picked one at random that had a good title. “Morgue Bait” sounds good, right? Well, “good” until you actually read it. It’s not totally terrible, but it is terribly written that’s for sure and sums up why I don’t really bother with most of the text stories in the first place. Nice accompanying illustration though.

From the March-April 1954 issue of Voodoo #14


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

WELL I MADE IT ABOUT HALFWAY AND THEN SKIPPED TO THE END. A BIT TEDIOUS BUT LIKE YOU SAID NOT TOTALLY TERRIBLE. I NEVER READ THESE TEXT STORIES EITHER, IN FACT I DONT BELIEVE I'VE EVER MET ANYONE WHO HAS. WHY DID COMICS EVEN BOTHER WASTING 1 OR 2 PAGES WITH THIS SORT OF THING? I MEAN, ISNT THE POINT OF COMICS PRIMARILY ABOUT THE ART ANYWAY?

Mr. Karswell said...

Yep, what'd I say? Nobody reads these text things. Nearly a dozen comments on Black Magic in a Slinky Gown, and only one here on Morgue Bait (not counting my own of course.) If I had the patience to find a truly good text story I'd spend the time actually looking for one, but I don't. If someone out there has any good suggestions then... well... let's just forget the text stories shall we?

Anonymous said...

I've read worse

Anonymous said...

Comics used to need a couple of pages of text material to qualify for US mailing privileges (i.e. cheaper shipping). Text stories went out when letter columns became a regular feature. They probably weren't written in much more time than they take to read, but who knows, maybe there are one or two really good ones in there somewhere.

Incidentally Stan Lee's first published work was a Captain America text story, c. 1941.

Mr. Karswell said...

>Comics used to need a couple of pages of text material to qualify for US mailing privileges

Thanks Joe! Interesting tib bit of info!

Unknown said...

Sorry. Bookmarked this and forgot about it. Better late than never?