Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Wrestling with Horror

Nov. '11 is our "Month to Beware" and we're looking at select tales from this entertainingly silly horror comic book series until we can't handle anymore (um, I think we're getting pretty close actually with today's entry.) SEE! Mad science at its MADDEST! SEE! A grizzly bear turned into a watch dog! SEE! An ape with a human brain vs. man in the ring of death! SEE! A wrestler's blue shorts turn into tighty-whities for one panel mid-battle! From the August '52 issue of Beware #11 (Vince Napoli gets the art credit.)







6 comments:

Anonymous said...

1. Didn't the good doctor know, that even then, professional wrestling was "fixed" to9 the point of even being scripted?

2.Let's see; Mad scientist creates new types of animals, (even though I believe that big enough "house snakes" will eat rats); and uses one to compete with a professional wrestler; (not even in a title and/or televised match?)

Penny-ante thinking, Doc!

DBurch7670

Mr. Cavin said...

"I'VE "CREATED" AN APE-MAN-WRESTLER... I'M LIKE GOD!"

Holy cow, this was awesome! He killed the ape-man-wrestler by jamming the electricity directly into his veins! And should I assume that the mere fact that the mad doctor addresses me directly for all of page two is some kind of sly insinuation that I, too, am some kind of ape man? Damn! Take it back, BEWARE.

Mr. Cavin said...

PS, the cover of this issue is mighty.

Prof. Grewbeard said...

darn it, Mr. Cavin got to that line first...

Trevor M said...

Must second Mr. Cavin's comments. I am enjoying this Beware stuff. It's like it exists in its own 1950's horror comic alternative universe. I like the pulpy illustration on this tale, too.

Mr. Karswell said...

Beware is real hit and miss series, but sometimes a big miss (to me) turns out to be the highlight of comments here at THOIA... soooooo, I've been going back and re-evaluating entire issues and stories that I never thought I would bother posting, haha. You guys have asked for it now!

Lots more on the way, including another one from this issue based on an Ambrose Bierce classic. And sorry, don't expect a nice big scan of the cover from this issue, I wish-- but my copy is coverless

:(