Friday, March 22, 2019

The Gentlemen of the Jury!

I was asked again recently to help identify another isolated comic book panel that's been making its out of context way 'round the www, and you've probably seen it around too-- a tough talkin' dame putting a book store owner in his place while trying to buy a tome on black magic-- so when people come to me for help (in this case I was actually tagged on facebook), I am of course more than happy to assist. And here it is, the satanically penned Stan Lee script, and Russ Heath illustrated gangster tale (with a supernatural twist) that the perplexing panel in question is from, as originally featured in the April 1953 issue of Adventures into Weird Worlds #17.






6 comments:

Brian Barnes said...

Oh that's a great ending! I was so wrapped up in the story I didn't see it coming. Stan, again, does a masterful job of pacing and keeping you interested in a story that ends up being talking heads most of the time.

This is a home run from Heath (and when isn't it?) From our very weasel-ish stoolie to our tough-as-nails Nick to our "upstanding" lawyer and pin-up dancer -- everybody looks the part. Cliche? Maybe, but it reads great on the page.

The coloring is overall excellent and a wonderful Satan image.

The bookstore panel has been making the rounds for years, but let's see (always with links back to this blog) if we can't do the same for the Satan panel!

This story is a great one.

Mestiere said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
JBM said...

Wonderfully gritty crime in the big city, then boom she calls up ol' scratch. Horrors! I didn't see the endings arrival either. Enjoyed this a bunch. Thank you Mr. K. So nice to hear that things are going along, it takes time. The previous post's tales were nice too but seemed familiar. I don't know from where. This story worked better for me.

Mr. Cavin said...

Lovely art, but that jury selection process is a little suspicious. I mean, even if those guys were still alive, they'd be in a rival gang. Right? I think I'd shoot for a mistrial if I were Ben. I like to imagine the Devil with a picket sign protesting outside the court house.

Todd said...

Ha! This cops out as a horror story, but it's daffy and genuinely funny enough, I don't mind a bit. Happy early April 1!

Mr. Karswell said...

If anyone else ever stumbles upon an isolated, puzzlingly out of context comic panel, just drop me a line and we'll figure it out and get the entire story posted here at THOIA (though 9 times out of 10 the story is likely already archived here!)

Thanks for the comments, I've got a real weird one up next, so HANG tight-- it's coming!