Thursday, April 19, 2018

Your Grave is Ready (Again)

The good news is Werewolf Wednesdays are back. The bad news is they're unfortunately a day late. But the additional good news: it's a really hairy scary wolf man tale from the March 1953 issue of The Unseen #9. The additional bad news is you might've already seen this story here if you've been following this blog for at least the last 4 years. But! More good news is that if you did see this story here, it was the black and white reprint version from Eclipse as featured in their short-lived Seduction of the Innocent series (re-open that grave HERE.) The other bad news is-- well... there really isn't any more bad news, because the final bit of good news is this is the original 50's COLOR version and now you can finally start reading the goddamn story already-- good? Good.

















3 comments:

Brian Barnes said...

I had to check my old comment to make sure I didn't contradict myself :)

The splash is great but the title doesn't really fit the story in any manner! It's also a interesting werewolf tale, it seems like it's a science-based monster at one point (boy raised by wolves) but then it goes straight supernatural with the silver bullets.

I really like the look of the wolf and as I mentioned before, a couple years before I was a Teenage Werewolf where a lot of WWBN got it's look from. I love the moon/figure in panel 2 on the last page.

Mr. Cavin said...

This is such a great story. I am pretty excited to see it with the original colors. Turns out they're pretty sedate, frankly, with large uncolored elements throughout and a wolf-man who is mostly light blue. So this story seems a lot lighter than the usual fare around here. It's not my my usual thing--give me the tutti-fruitti--but I think it's really well done. I guess when the art is this good, with a bold and well-designed monster and that glorious fifth page, they knew to kind of back off and let that speak for itself.

Grant said...

The idea of the adopted father killing the werewolf (or TRYING to do it, in this case) looks ahead to CURSE OF THE WEREWOLF.