Friday, December 28, 2012

Gorillas, Ghosts, and Gangsters (Do You Dig?)

I received a somewhat mixed reaction back in 2008 on the first time I ever posted a Sergeant Spook story (see HERE) --seems a few commenters would prefer THOIA steer clear of the more "kid friendly" type pre-code stories such as this. Well, today I have another one originally from the August 1942 issue of Blue Bolt Vol. 3 #3 (27), and this one is just as kid friendly and exploding with silly, playful fun-- and scripted by Mickey Spillane no less! Apologies to any haters... if this ain't your cup o'tea, come back in a few days for something scarier. (And a big thanks to Drazen "Happy Undertaker" Kozjan for the funny one page gag at the end of this post, from his Abbott & Costello comic collection.)










BONUS!

8 comments:

Mestiere said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Turok1952 said...

Well, I loved it! Simple, direct, and reflective of the country's determined and hopeful mood in 1942. It struck me early on that the artist's faces are reminiscent of Everett.

Monk rules!

Brian Barnes said...

And I the only one that think Fred got the better end of the deal in "Do you dig?"

The story is one of those fun 40s kitchen sink stories, where the elements seem to have been chosen from a hat. "Spook" "Gorilla" "Orphan Boy" "Spies". Go!

Mr. Karswell said...

I figured a few of you would enjoy this at least-- for those of you looking for something with a bit more blood and bite (and boobs!) check out the current fumetti post over at my other blog here:

http://andeverythingelsetoo.blogspot.com/2012/12/wallestein-adults-only.html

Pierre Fournier said...

Love this. A ghost and gorilla punch-up... How cool is that?

Mr. Karswell said...

And it's a real gorilla too, not an obvious guy in a gorilla suit-- although those are pretty fun as well! :)

Anonymous said...

All I really needed here was the splash page to give it a resounding two thumbs-up!

Anonymous said...

Ordinarily, I prefer the darker stuff, but it's early in the night yet, and this has a really delirious quality I can get behind.

I'm ashamed to admit that I did not know that Spillane had authored pre-Code comics. Are there more Spillane scenarios you can share or point me to? Great fun!