Tuesday, July 10, 2012

A Fella Needs a Zombie / SD Con 2012

All fellas (and ladies) need a zombie, and this tale from the December 1953 issue of Mystic #25 might just do the trick. If not, check the info after the post on how you can add more ZOMBIE action into your life!




















This week, July 12th - 15th, Craig Yoe and I, Karswell will be attending San Diego Comic Con 2012! You can find us at the IDW Booth #2643 (near Marvel's booth in the center of the main convention hall-- see map below), promoting the latest and greatest Chilling Archives of Horror Comics addition-- ZOMBIES! Stop by the booth, say hi, and get yourself a copy of this damned book! And don't forget our Zombies Panel / Q&A on Sunday at 11:00am, Room 32AB. Get all the SD con info you can handle right HERE!


(click to enlarge SD Convention Center map!)

Sunday July 15th, 11:00am-12:00 The Chilling Archives of Horror Comics Zombies Panel!— Blood will curdle and flesh will crawl as IDW/Yoe Books terror team co-editors Craig Yoe (Eisner Award-winning comic historian) and Steve "Karswell" Banes (host of The Horrors of It All vintage comics blog) unearth the lurid, dark history of 1950s comics with an unnerving panel focused on pre-Code horror's most despicably dead subject-zombies! This hour-long discussion and Q&A is guaranteed to rot your mind! All attendees dressed as a zombie will get a prize! Zombies Panel will be held in Room 32AB.

13 comments:

Brian Barnes said...

Nice one! I love the 4 panel repetition in the story/art: bottom of page 1, bottom of page 2, bottom page 3, top page 4 (my favorite), and again middle of page 5.

Signed Paul Rewman, a name I've never heard, and the script looks a bit like Stan or somebody doing Stan's bit.

Mr. Karswell said...

Paul Reinman... there's a bunch of his stuff in the THOIA Archive:

http://thehorrorsofitall.blogspot.com/search?q=paul+reinman

Tim Whitcher said...

That evil look on Mr. Kato's face in that next to last panel... brrr!

Really enjoyed this one.

Mr. Cavin said...

Yeah, this art was pretty grand. I liked that cemetery tree a lot, the rising zombie, the lush "Haitian" backdrops. I'm pretty much digging the metallic fish-scale zombies on the cover, too.

SpaceLord said...

Fun story - with impressive artwork by Reinman!
Wish I could be at that zombies "hearing" in San Diego.
Are you filming this? If so, please make it public.

sfdoomed said...

Fantastic art and a fun story line on this one. My favorite part was the different ways Ziggy (great name!) imagines murdering Mr. Kato on the bottom of page two.

Man, it would be cool to see the zombie Q&A in San Diego. I'm with SpaceLord...any chance of posting a link to a clip of this if filmed?

Thanks Karswell and good luck at Comic Con.

Mr. Karswell said...

>That evil look on Mr. Kato's face in that next to last panel... brrr!

Why Tim, I'd say he almost... looks... a bit... like...
YOU!!! AIEEEEEEEEE!!

>digging the metallic fish-scale zombies on the cover, too.

COMING SOON: Living Dead from the Black Lagoon!

>Wish I could be at that zombies "hearing" in San Diego.

I like that you called it a "hearing" ...as if I'm not already nervous enough about this thing, now me and Craig are on the hot seat! Just joking, I'm sure it will be video'd, and if so it will eventually find it's way to THOIA for anyone interested who could not attend the con.

Thanks for the comments, hope to see some of you this weekend, and as mentioned before, if you have our ZOMBIES book, let us know! Write a review online somewhere and send us the link, or send me a picture of yourself with it. Craig and I want to hear from you guys and ghouls!

And don't forget about the THOIA Zombies Contest (check earlier post from this month), you could win an autographed copy of ZOMBIES, as well as an original piece of fantastic zombie art by Drazen Kozjan! Good luck!

Mr. Karswell said...

>Thanks Karswell and good luck at Comic Con.

Thanks SFD! Hey, where've you been anyway? (See my comment above about the possibility of a Q&A video)

bzak said...

Howdy,

I'm so old I remember when you didn't need a map to find things at the Con.

I'm so old I remember when the Con was just about comics.

I'm so old I remember...uh, what was I trying to remember again?

Thank you, tip your waitress

Brian Riedel

Trevor M said...

Throw my praise on the heap with all the positive comments above on this terrific little story and the cool cover. Have a good time at the comic convention.

Tim said...

Aw, man... Yet another reason to be bummed that I am not at SDCC this year!

Rich Clabaugh said...

thanks for the post!
Did Reinman do the cover as well? What weird zombies!

Yeah I wish was going to SDCC as well. Let us know how it goes! Oh and take some pictures!

Dr. Theda said...

As always Love your Blog ... I will now start posting my 70's horror comics at the "Crypt"... now that I have a scanner.......I just wanted to tell you that the "Happy Undertaker" just joined as a "follower"....Awesome...