Sunday, June 15, 2008

Occult LA

For those of you on the west coast--- Los Angeles has long been home to one of America's most powerful occult scenes. The frontier town was already packed with Theosophists and Hindu gurus when the mystic Manly P. Hall founded the Philosophical Research Society in 1934 and started compiling the largest occult library west of the Mississippi. Some of Aleister Crowley's most influential followers also made the Southland a crucial center of Crowley's magickal religion of Thelema.



Tonight's program at The Silent Movie Theatre in Los Angeles will combine presentations by independent scholars, and experimental esoteric films from Kenneth Anger, Curtis Harrington, Chick Strand, and others. Leading the evening will be Erik Davis, author of "The Visionary State: A Journey through California's Spiritual Landscape." Also presenting will be Louis Sahagun, author of "Master of the Mysteries", a new bio of Manly P. Hall; and Brian Butler, an expert on the life of Cameron, mistress of JPL rocket scientist Jack Parsons and LA's most intriguing enchantress.

Click HERE for more info!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

MAN THIS SOUNDS FASCINATING! TOO BAD I'M NOWHERE NEAR LA.........GRRRR

Karswell said...

>TOO BAD I'M NOWHERE NEAR LA

Yeah, if I still lived in LA I'd be at this in a flash. I love all the Jack Parsons / JPL / Crowley stuff. Anybody read Sex & Rockets?

Dr.Phibes said...

I've heard that at one point, Jimmy Page had recorded some music to be used for Kenneth Anger's film Lucifer Rising. I've always been curious to hear that.

Tenebrous Kate said...

Oh wow--another reason to be sad not to be on the Left Coast. Drat! Sounds like a great program; if I'm lucky there will be some sort of repeat performance that I can make it to in the future.

Some other, more ambitious person than I should put on an Occult NYC program. ;)