Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Lon Chaney (NEWS)

A big Happy Birthday salute to Lon Chaney, The Man of a Thousand Faces! Legendary silent screen performer, Quasimodo, Phantom of the Opera, Professor Edward C. Burke of “lost” London After Midnight fame and more, born this day in Colorado Springs CO, 1883.

Watch Phantom of the Opera now by clicking HERE!


The Vicar of VHS said...

No superlatives are too much for the greatest horror icon of all time, and the first! The "reveal" scene in Phantom still packs a wallop, I think because even though everybody knows what the makeup looks like, you just don't expect it to MOVE like that. Truly an amazing accomplishment.

And if you want to see some of Chaney's best, most astounding acting (imo), check out The Unknown. Truly amazing. I love that movie so much, I took my movie rating scale from it! :)

Plus he gave us Creighton, who gave us The Wolf Man. Such a debt of gratitude is owed.

Anonymous said...


Karswell said...

>Such a debt of gratitude is owed.


I agree! And welcome back Vicar! How was the horror convention?


this is a very actor.
i love your movies!!!!
do you know frankenstain meat the wolfman?

look my blog!

god bye my friendddd

The Vicar of VHS said...

>>I agree! And welcome back Vicar! How was the horror convention?

It was a blast. I bought lots of books, was given even more to review for the magazine, got to meet lots of cool folks, and even went skiing for the first time in my life. And my doctor says in a few years you'll hardly be able to see the scars! ;)

Anonymous said...

I hope and pray that in my lifetime a copy of London after Midnite will someday surface. There has got to be one existing print SOMEWHERE!!!

L. F. Chaney said...

Thank you all most kindly.

Horror pariah said...

A salute to the greatest character actor of all time!i agree that THE UNKNOWN is his best performance,but he's just as good in HE WHO GETS SLAPPED as well,and the courtroom scenes in UNHOLY THREE are AMAZING.and as for LAM,if you have a copy of MONSTERS CRASH THE PAJAMA PARTY,theres a home movie of a guy dressed up as the Man in the Beaver hat,apparently copying Chaney's performance,my guess is it'll be a lot of fun if it turns up,or we'll all wish it had remained lost,most who saw it consider it a lame movie with only Chaney being worth watching(Browning could be quite bad at times)but it WAS their most successful fim,so y'never know!.